Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Till the Butchers Cut Him Down by Marcia Muller

Finished on 6/8.

The woman does have a way with titles. This time a college friend(?) of Sharon shows up wanting her help.

He was an outsider and fundamentally a loser in college, but in the intervening years he has become a high pressure, high dollar turn-around expert - I'm not certain that is the correct phrase. What he does is take failing businesses and make them profitable - usually at the expense of many of the concerned parties. And someone wants to kill him - imagine that --

This one gets Sharon out of San Francisco for part of it, but the center of the action is the derelict Hunter's Point naval installation. I actually visited there once - before it was derelict. Muller obviously loves San Francisco; she frequently indulges in historical and descriptive discussions of the city and how it got the way it is. I have briefly visited the city on a couple of occasions, separated by about thirty years, but I certainly would not claim to know it. I have read a couple of novels set in my home area that offended me deeply by their ignorance. I hope that Muller's San Francisco is faithful to the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment