Saturday, July 27, 2013

Iufaa (Part I) by Jenna Zamie

Finished on 7/7.

That is just a working title, I believe; it is the name of the main character.

I was reading this chapter by chapter as she finished it, but I was finding that frustrating - I tend to read in huge chunks, and having to wait for the next chapter was driving me crazy. It was finished, and I had finished writing my comps - it was time to read it through.

This is an excellent piece of work. The character is appealing, the dialogue is natural, the story is intriguing, and she needs to get on with getting it published.

It is clear that she is familiar with the fantasy genre but she doesn't fall to the cliches. "The stream" which is the source of magic and the mechanism which conveys Iufaa from world to world is not like anything that I have read anywhere else. And her non-human characters are wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment