Saturday, July 27, 2013

"A" is for Alibi by Sue Grafton

Finished on 7/10.

My sister bought "A" through "O" for kindle at some ridiculous price - like $1.99 apiece. Time to reread. I'm not sure how many of these I actually read, I know I didn't get all the way to "O." At some point, a colleague pointed out that they all ended the same way - with Kinsey blowing someone away in the last scene. So I shall consider this in the nature of research - is that an accurate generalization? - because I simply don't remember.

I do remember that someone was really unhappy about the fact that she had slept with the guy who turned out to be the bad guy and subsequently was shot. That was in this one - sorry, anyone who happens to read this who has not actually read this book. The dumpster scene is one of the bits that I have remembered about Grafton's books for all these years - and it was in the very first one.

Another point for research: according to the wiki, Grafton decided to write the series and chose the titles - for all of them - first. As readers here may have noticed, I have a thing about titles. Will the twenty-six "crime words" actually be integral to the stories? Or will they just be catchy titles justified by a line or two here and there.

For this one - the mystery does hang on the alibi. And, yes, she does sleep with the guy and shoot him in the last scene, however, this is the first book - so it is a little early to declare a pattern given my convenient memory (or lack thereof).

I suppose I will also find out how many of them I can read consecutively before having to read something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment