Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Towers of the Sunset by L. E. Modesitt, Jr

Finished on 5/30.

Not bad, I quite enjoyed it - until I realized that he was going to run the same plot yet a third time in the same book. I had a hard time finishing the last quarter of the book - had to resort to "reading really fast," which amounts to barely reading at all.

I have heard of the Recluce books for years, but had never gotten around to reading one. I have to admit that he got me totally involved with these characters - which in its own way is another source of annoyance. For one thing, they were pretty good characters and deserved better of their creator than to be cranked through the same story line for the third time. And - I understand that, although there are about a dozen of the Recluce books, there gaps of centuries between them, so characters do not reappear.

There is one more little thing. The hero risked life and limb to escape from his homeland, which was a complete matriarchy - men were reduced to chattels - but when he got to a patriarchal society, he was able to muster no comprehension of the situation of the women. Seems to me that he should have been able to recognize that they were treated as he had been treated and so on.

My sister has bought a number of Modesitt's books in another series. I will try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment