Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Sisterhood by Helen Bryan

Finished on 6/10.

One of my random purchases. It was all right. I enjoyed it. I wouldn't want to have paid full price for it.

It vaguely reminded me of the one-word title books by Kate Mosse, somehow made classier by leaving off the "the." Things happen centuries ago and can only be resolved in the present.

I'm not particularly crazy about the device. I don't mind the supernatural - there was a ghost in this one - but it is all a bit of a strain and requires relies to a ridiculous extent on coincidence.

The nuns of an obscure order in Spain are attacked by the inquisition because of their heretical beliefs but manage to send a crew to South America to establish a new convent. 450 years later a young woman shows up with the treasured signature medallion of the order, lost for all those years.

As I said, it was okay - probably a good beach read (as I understand such things, having spent very little time on beaches in my life). As you can also tell, the story didn't leave enough of an impression for me to remember much about it a month later - and it didn't make enough of an impact at the time to drive me to comment immediately - as some of my last few months worth of reading have.

No comments:

Post a Comment