Friday, January 21, 2011

Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris

I am really enjoying these. It is hard for me to believe that the same woman wrote a series of books that I found so boring that I didn't even bother to finish the one that I started. Maybe it is because they were supposed to be "cute" - I'm not real crazy about cute.

These are not heavy-duty psychological thrillers, but they are well-plotted and well written. The characters are believable and solidly drawn. Harper's strange gift is treated simply as a matter of fact. It is incidental to solving the mystery not central, mainly it is the device for getting them on the scene. Far stranger in these stories are the convoluted and perverse family relationships which are the causes of the murders in the first place. At least that is the case in the three I have read. There is one more - maybe next weekend - I have several others in the queue at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment