Saturday, January 1, 2011

206 Bones by Kathy Reichs

One of the things that I like about Reichs is the science. I guess that is fairly obvious, if you don't like science then you probably aren't reading these books. The science feels and, I believe, is legitimate. Reichs's scientific creditials are impeccable. I was first introduced to Reichs by the girl who was my stand-partner in the orchestra at the time. In addition to helping hold down the second stand of violas, she was a graduate student in forensic anthropology. Given my feeling about the silliness in print about my field, I consider her endorsement worthwhile.

In this one, Tempe is herself the target of falsified and misleading "science" aimed at discrediting her. And we do get the frequently repeated "Tempe in mortal danger" motif - here threaded through the entire book in italicized passages. Leaving the reader wondering not only how the science and criminal investigations are going to play out, but how and why Tempe ended up in such a fix. I suppose it was probably included to keep readers who are not big science nerds reading - the science in this one is fairly technical - but the device is effective nonetheless.

Reichs is riding a hobby horse this time. I'm not complaining - I would only be complaining if addressing the cause damaged the story, and it does not. Also, it is a legitimate cause. Lives depend on the scientific evidence presented in court, and there should be a system in place to allow laymen (including professionals in other fields) to have some confidence in those that present that evidence. That logically leads to some sort of certification or licensure for those professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment