Saturday, January 29, 2011

Eggsecutive Orders by Julie Hyzy

I really have other things to do this weekend and should never have downloaded this book, but I did - so I won't pretend I didn't read it and postpone posting. There is one more of them, but I Promise that I will not download it until next weekend. I did get a couple of others, but that is another matter altogether. I have quite a stack of "books on paper" that I need to read and return to their owners anyway. I should find that cartoon and post it. I never expected to become such a convert to books in electronics, but cataracts have changed a number of things in my world.

This one was - as the others have been - good fun. One of the entertaining aspects was the introduction of Ollie's mother and grandmother into the mix - quite a remarkable and enterprising pair of ladies. I hope they visit DC often.

This time the action occurs around the hysteria of the annual White House Egg Roll. I don't think I had ever considered the magnitude of the task of preparing 15,000 hard-boiled eggs. Back during my thankfully short tenure as kitchen/wait help at the university I attended, the daily early morning pots of hard-boiled eggs to be peeled seemed bottomless, and I am sure that we were dealing with mere hundreds rather than thousands. At least Ollie and her crew didn't have to peel them - just boil and dye them - gruesome enough.

The big cliff-hanger in this one is whether or not Ollie's romance with Tom, the secret service agent, will survive. They officially broke up for "political" reasons - his boss was holding him accountable for her actions - and there have been hints of the awkwardness of their officially "secret" relationship all along - but is this for real? Only by reading the next book can we know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment