Monday, May 25, 2015

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

5 Apr. Kindle.

I really did not like this one. It is the current choice of a book club that I sort of keep up with because some very good friends are in it.

It is one of those things in which the point of view switches between characters and instead of chapters you sections headed "Rachel" or "Megan" or "Anna." I'm not crazy about those to begin with - and this one adds the crime of putting the three narrators on different timelines. Sometimes it is effective when you have stuff happening in different centuries - but in this one, one character was out of phase by a few months. And the primary narrator was incredibly annoying - she was a drunk and must have reformed at least half a dozen times in the few weeks of the main narrative thread. None of the characters are likeable - I have a really hard time with stories about people I don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment