Monday, May 25, 2015

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off: The Yarn Harlot's Guide to the Land of Knitting by Stephanie Pearl McPhee

14Apr. Kindle.

Good fun. Not as wildly entertaining as At Knit's End, but still fun. And I have to confess that I didn't read it all. There were letters inserted from an (I assume) imaginary woman who discovers knitting and becomes an addict to several different people (I think), and occasional responses. They were inserted as images in the text and I found them very difficult to read -- so for the most part, I didn't. The few I did struggle through were hilarious, but it was so very much work. I wonder if the library has a copy. It is also making me reconsider the manner of the epistolary inserts that I have planned for Mother's story. I was thinking of including occasional actual images of Mother's hand-written (or badly typed) letters - but I'm not so sure now particularly given the growing prevalence of e-text as opposed to print on paper.

Not much to be said about this book - definitely a read for knitters, not the general population. Those unlettered in the art might even think that some passages were written in a foreign language - not really, just technical jargon.

She did make one point that I have been trying to share with others, most of whom are totally disinterested in such observations. Knitting is magic - I consider it a mathematical magic - you take a piece of string and, as she says, you wave it around with a couple of sticks (many, many times) and convert it into a fabric - a line into a surface. Mathematically a line has only one dimension and a surface has a minimum of two, frequently, three. If that isn't magic, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment