Monday, May 25, 2015

The Cadence by Casey Hays

3Mar. Kindle

Oh dear. One does hope, but seldom are those hopes realized.

Here we have bad writing in all of its modes. Globally, for starters, telling instead of showing. That was my father's weakness as a writer of fiction. He was so anxious that his readers "see" what he was "seeing" that he invested far too much time (and way too many words) in the attempt to convey his personal vision. Mark Twain had it down: “Don’t say the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream.” And I would add, if you absolutely MUST tell me - tell me once. How many times did the heroine of this piece link pinky fingers with her BFF to seal a promise? OMG!!

The plot is thin and derivative. Justification for the whole thing is sadly lacking. It sort of reminded me of a television series some years ago, which I confess I never watched, that dealt with a collection of kids with superpowers. "Heroes"?

The characters are about what I would expect a high school (maybe middle school) student to come up with - one that had read Twilight. And let's just close our eyes to spelling, grammar, and word choice.

I could rant for quite a while longer, but this simply isn't worth the effort that would take. Don't read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment