Monday, May 25, 2015

The Fall of Atlantis by Marion Zimmer Bradley

20Mar. Kindle.

Web of Light

Web of Darkness

This is actually a double - which may in part account for why it took so incredibly long to read - besides the fact that it was boring. It is also representative of a dirty rotten trick that publishers/authors pull on the reading public. The two Webs were published in 1983 and four years later the double was published. Apparently, in the biz such a volume is referred to as an "omnibus" edition. And in all fairness, I did not find the omnibus on my shelves in paper. However, there was not a notation at the beginning of the ebook that it was in fact an omnibus. I remembered, vaguely, that I had not been impressed by the two separate books. At least I don't think there was; I will check. Okay, my apologies, buried in all the small print in the pages before the story begins - pages and pages back - there is a notation that it was previously published as Web and Web. Wish I had a paper copy so I could check it - Glad I don't have a paper copy because that would mean that I bought it twice on paper before buying it again as an ebook. At any rate, I remembered, vaguely, that I had not been impressed by the two separate books.

I suspected that there was a reason why I never reread this. I love Darkover, but Bradley's pseudohistories not so much. In fact, on rereading I found this incredibly tedious. Endless smart people doing dumb stuff.

Note to self: do not read this one again. Reread Darkover.

No comments:

Post a Comment