Thursday, March 24, 2011

True Grit by Charles Portis

It has been years since I read this. Pretty good - maybe I remember the movie better than the book, though. So now I need to see the movie again. The old one. With John Wayne.

This is our book club book for next month and the hostess gave us some questions for consideration. So I thought I would consider a few of them here.

Do you think True Grit is typical of the western genre? Why/why not.
No, but what would I know because I have never read westerns. Well, a couple of Zane Greys and maybe a Louis L'Amour. But, with the exception of Betty Zane I don't recall any "feisty women." And the lawmen in this book were certainly not portrayed as pillars of respectability and virtue.

How does Mattie compare to Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games?
Now that is an interesting question --
Both of their mothers had essentially resigned their roles as the head of household to their daughters, leaving them as the primary support of the family as young teenagers. The situation of Mattie's family is far less dire than that of Katniss's family. In The Hunger Games, the family lives a marginal existence until Katniss wins the Games; the Rosses are actually fairly comfortable even after the murder of the father. Katniss is much more a victim of circumstance than Mattie. She is manipulated by things beyond her control. Even when she embraces the Mockingjay image, she has little or no choice in the matter. Mattie takes charge and controls her circumstances. She manipulates a couple of men who are accustomed to having things their own way into doing things that she wants and pretty much her way - at least into taking her along on the trip - because as she has made it clear she doesn't particularly trust either one of them.

What elements do you think have made this novel so beloved and successful?
I don't know. I liked the book, but I am not likely to read copies of it to shreds as I have books that I truly love. Mattie is a wonderful character - maybe that's it. I enjoyed the voice Portis gave her - it reminded me of my grandmother, because, after all, we are hearing Mattie as an old woman telling the story.

Much has been made of Charles Portis' ear for dialog. Do you agree? What are some examples?
There were definitely places when the dialogue made me laugh out loud, usually when Mattie scored on one or both of the men ("officers" as she refers to them).

I was disappointed that he didn't allow Mattie to see Rooster that one last time. It seemed unfair to send her off on her own again just to arrive and find that he was very recently dead. But I suppose in the greater scheme of things that is a minor point. I might have preferred to have the story end at the end of the story instead of wrapping up the next 25 years.

Lastly, the title: I expect that the reader is expected to observe that, while Mattie goes out seeking a man with "true grit" to pursue her case, she is the one who truly displays that elusive quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment