Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mouse and Dragon by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller

Another Liaden book!! It may require me to go back and reread the lot. This one falls after Scout's Progress, and continues the story of Daav and Aelliana - which is picked up again a generation later in I Dare. And I have at least one more in my queue, too.

It is solid, fits right into the series - and even though we know that Aelliana is going to die - because we have already read the next generation stories, we know it is all right because we have also read I Dare. Sometimes it is nice to know how they get from Point A to Point B.

I don't know what it is about the Liaden books. They seem almost YA in their directness and narrative simplicity, but the characters are totally compelling and I have read them repeatedly. When I finish a read through, I am tempted to go back and start again at the beginning. There are other books that I love and have read many times, but few that I am willing to reread back to back, not even the Vorkosigan books, or The Lord of the Rings, or Dune, or even Arrows of the Queen. And that has been the one I go back to when I am tired, depressed, or brain-dead and want something comfortable and familiar with a good ending. It could be that I go back to that one on bad days because I can read it in the bathtub - I have never read any of the Liaden stories on paper, only electronically. Are e-readers waterproof yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment