Wednesday, December 25, 2013

The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon

Finished on Dec7.

This is about as different from The Deed of Paksenarrion as I can imagine, except in her creation of absolutely compelling characters and a story that grabs you and hangs on. It is set in a near future United States, so near that those who don't read much science fiction might not notice. It is inevitable to compare it to Daniel Keyes' "Flowers for Algernon."

Lou is an autistic adult. It has been discovered that there are tasks that his kind of mind can perform far more effectively than "normal" minds or computer software, and the pharmaceutical firm that he works for has an entire unit of autistic adults working in an environment that allows them to manage their problems. Lou is well-adapted, likes his work, has a life beyond his job, and is falling in love with a "normal" woman who reciprocates his feelings.

Then he and his colleagues are presented with a "cure" for their condition. Lou's question is whether or not he will be the same person if he takes the treatment. He likes who he is; he likes his job; he has friends; and he loves Marjory. Would any of those things remain the same?

Moon's credentials for the topic are impeccable: her son is autistic, she has lived with the fact of autism for his entire life - with the fear and misunderstanding of people outside their world and the obstacles that the world places in the paths of people who are different.

Very early in the story Lou tells us "Everything in my life that I value has been gained at the cost of not saying what I really think and saying what they want me to say." The statement shocked me because I can identify with it in many ways. When I started school, successful bright little girls learned quickly to sit down and shut up - to keep our heads down. And how many of us have learned the same lesson on the job - whatever job we might have? One of my colleagues put it rather harshly: "I can be a good house slave - 'Yes, Massa, jes' tell me what to do.' Why would my opinion and experience matter, I'm not entitled to an opinion and my experience is clearly of no interest whatsoever to those making operational decisions."

I think that is the primary message here - maybe different isn't all that different after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment