Thursday, December 26, 2013

Betsy-Tacy by Maud Hart Lovelace

Finished on Dec7.

This was a quick run back to my childhood. I read all of these when I was in grade school. The two little girls meet and, after a rough start, become best friends.

They have endless adventures, both real and imaginary, and it all rings true for the place and the period. When they start school, the shy one has to be dragged to school sobbing by her older sister. Reminded me of the time ... well, never mind about that.

The piano crate in the backyard, dressing up in their mothers' clothes and going calling on the new people in the biggest house in town, catching a ride on a floating feather and sailing over the town - all seem to be formed from the memory of a couple of real little girls.

It is nice to reread something that I read and loved as a child without being embarrassed for my complete lack of taste and literary judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment