Thursday, December 26, 2013

Skeleton Man by Tony Hillerman

Finished on Dec26. And that is today, believe it or not. If I can just get this lot posted today, I will be officially caught up!!!

I stopped by my office on Christmas Eve to water my plants (which, by the way, are flourishing there as they never did in this house) and found this on the freebie table - a Hillerman that I hadn't read - what a Christmas gift!

The wiki informs me that there is one more that follows this one, and there may be a couple on the list that I missed somehow. It also informs me (shades of Dick Francis) that Hillerman's daughter has picked up the torch and is continuing the series. I will reserve judgment on that. Felix Francis seems to be doing a respectable job of it, maybe Anne Hillerman will also.

Here we have the emerging pattern of the later books, the retired Joe Leaphorn gets the not-so-retired Jim Chee involved in matters. This time going back to the disastrous Grand Canyon mid-air collision of two passenger aircraft back in the fifties. There is considerable emphasis on Bernadette Manuelito, Bernie, now no longer Chee's subordinate, but transferred to another jurisdiction and his fiancee.

They actually manage to get married in this one, but off-camera, in a way. We hear about it when Leaphorn reports on the event to his coffee buddies at the Navajo Cafe.

Hillerman could join Jance for this coming year's reread. I still have some Dick Francis to go, and I sort of abandoned Marcia Muller somewhere along the way. Grafton is due for a long rest before I pick up the rest of the alphabet. And Reichs and Davidson are caught up to current publications. I was considering adding Agatha and Dorothy --- Whatever, I am clearly in no danger of running out of reading material.

No comments:

Post a Comment