Saturday, March 17, 2012

The White Lioness by Henning Mankell

No, they have not discovered lions in Sweden. The white lioness, which appears about halfway through, becomes a metaphor for South Africa in another international mystery.

In the first, there was a touch of international intrigue through the refugee camps and Wallander's interactions with them. In the second, most of the action takes place in Latvia. This time Wallander doesn't actually leave the country, but the entire context of the story is based in South Africa. Also in this story, Mankell splits the point of view and we see the action through many eyes. He holds it together well, but it is a departure from the "straight and narrow" - at least he didn't try the twenty-four hour stunt.

He is also developing Wallander's daughter Linda as a significant factor in his life and as a character in her own right. At some point that was inevitable - since several books down the list - the bullet description changes to "a Kurt and Linda Wallander mystery." My guess is that she "finds herself" and becomes a cop like Daddy.

These remind me in some respects of the British Inspector Morse mysteries, which I only know through Mystery Theater - I have not actually read any of them - I suppose I should someday - especially if I am going to start using them for a basis of comparison. Anyway, Morse and Wallander are both opera afficianados, both rather morose and solitary, and both probably alcoholics, and both given to stubbornly defying authority and conventional wisdom in the pursuit of their hunches. They do seem to have rather different relationships with their respective juniors - but that could have to do with the organization of their respective police forces. As I recall, Morse does actually have some sort of life outside his police work, which Wallander does not. Still, the likeness is interesting.

I think I just talked myself into getting one of the Inspector Morse books.

No comments:

Post a Comment