Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Lemon Meringue Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke

More fun and cookies. One of these days I am actually going to try baking some of these cookies. They aren't like Diane Mott Davidson's recipes in the Goldy Bear books - those sound absolutely wonderful, but they have pages of ingredients and stuff that I think I might be able to define, but probably not. These are like real cookies with normal ingredients and procedures that even I can identify. I could do without the cutesy cookie reviews by characters in the story, but basically they make me hungry.

This is the fourth one of these that I have read and Hannah is still going with the two guys that she started dating in book one. No torrid love scenes -- and the dentist and the detective are actually friends. Not to mention the fact that Hannah herself considers that she probably isn't willing to give up her independence for marriage - with either of them.

I guess all of that is what makes these cozies and the Spencer-Fleming books not (in my opinion). Recipes, I believe, are a dead give-away. One does not find recipes in non-cozies, nor does your female detective fall for a married cop.

Okay, back to this book. The murder victim in this one was actually introduced in a previous book in the series. She was the flirtatious sales clerk at the drug store. And Hannah's mother, who has been seriously annoyed with Hannah for three volumes for her unpleasant habit of discovering bodies, finally gets to discover the body for herself. I do find myself wondering why the handsome sheriff's department detective doesn't ask the questions that Hannah does, but it wouldn't be a cozy if the cops solved the mystery, now would it?

No comments:

Post a Comment