Sunday, March 4, 2012

Out of the Deep I Cry by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Actually I finished this book days ago - and just forgot to write it up and post it. I have been busy procrastinating the writing of a paper for the class I am taking - and writing anything seemed to interfere with the process. The paper is due Friday, so I am now down to procrastinating by writing something else.

Things are getting deeper - quite literally, as well as emotionally. And, wonder of wonders, Clare has finally met Russ's wife - hard to believe it took three books. And it has also taken this long to get to the semi-torrid love scene. Semi-torrid because it takes place neck-deep in icy water from the still mostly frozen river which is flooding the basement in which the bad dude has imprisoned them. And they both come to the conclusion that this is not the place and the correct time is never. I still think we are going to someday learn that the wife has something more than buying going on in the City.

The "life in danger" scene has become pretty standard in mystery novels, even the "cozies." I saw something somewhere - perhaps at the end of this book - Spencer-Fleming discussing whether or not her stories were cozies. I didn't read it, but have rather decided that these come down on the "not so much" side of the line. Yes, she is a priest - but she doesn't have a cat, she doesn't knit or cook, and she has totally fallen for the married chief of police. I shall have to do a study of the subject - which will require rereading any number of murder mysteries!

In this one, the murder is generations in the past, and that telegraphs that the present day murder isn't a murder at all.

Once I get the paper done, it is my plan (well, hope) to get the other two papers for this class done over spring break and not have to worry about them any more (yeah, right). Last month I procrastinated so hard that I basically missed the 100 books under $4 list. Of course, you can imagine my annoyance when I opened this month's list and found this book on it. Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment