Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dark Tort by Diane Mott Davidson

It has been a while since I read one of these; I'm sure there are several that I have missed, but this one was on the shelf so it seemed like as good a place to start as any. I may go back to the beginning on this one someday and read them in closer proximity to each other.

In this one, Goldy's catering gig with a local law firm causes her to discover the body of the firm's paralegal-in-training - who also happens to live across the street from the Schultz home. Of course, the mother of the victim asks Goldy to investigate the murder herself because she has no confidence in the police.

As always there is a lot of food, all of which sounds really good, but the recipes are pages and pages long - and that's just the ingredients. Of course, Goldy is a professional caterer, not just running a cookie and coffee shop like Hannah Swenson in the Joanne Fluke books.

As long as I am considering mystery series cliches (that is a bit harsh, but I can't think of a better word at the moment), we have several here. There are the recipes - a marker of the "Cozy" mystery, but on the other hand, the victims were completely undeserving. I haven't established a pattern on that yet, but it does seem that frequently in "cozies" in particular, the murder victims are people who really ought to be murdered. The cliche I had in mind, however, is the episode of deadly peril.

In this case, Goldy has been seized by the murderer who intends to strangle her like one of the earlier victims and is rescued by a 79-year old champion pitcher who beans the bad with a rock, since she didn't have a baseball close at hand. I shouldn't have told, I suppose, but it is definitely my favorite "rescue of the heroine" ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment