Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi

Don't bother.

I suppose I could quit with that, but while definitive, it isn't very explanatory.

In his afterword to this thing, Scalzi talks about the difficulty about writing a sequel. This apparently surprised him, because, after all, the universe already existed. Unfortunately, he couldn't leave it at that. This time he felt compelled to explain everything. The slogan for writers of fiction should be "Show, don't tell." And in this book there were pages and endless pages of telling.

I expect writers to improve on second effort: this was a great disappointment. I was told that the other books are better and that he has another series that is pretty good, but I'm not paying full price for anything of his any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment