Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Dressed for Death by Donna Leon

I am reading two other books, and have several informative texts in the queue as well, but I'm not sure I want to post the text for the class I am going to take starting on the sixth. I have almost finished reading it. And the books for the lit class I will definitely post; in fact, two of them are already posted - the two Bronte books.

I will probably reread another one of these before the summer session begins, though, because I am enjoying them very much.

Again, Brunetti is forced out of his beloved Venice to investigate a crime - this time in Mestre. At least the initial crime takes place in Mestre. Mestre is the industrial city that is on the mainland opposite Venice, La Serenissima, in the lagoon. It is also set in the season of the year when the entire population of Italy (including Brunetti's family) seems to decamp for cooler climates - and the entire population of Germany seems to settle on the beaches of the Adriatic. Perhaps having lived in a desert climate as long as I have and in addition having spent eight years in the deep south, August in northern Italy never seemed that desperately hot to me - but then I have heard that people in England die of heat stroke when the temperature goes over 80, so maybe the horror of the heat isn't as exaggerated as it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment