Friday, February 4, 2011

Buffalo West Wing by Julie Hyzy

I didn't know that these and their like were an official sub-genre. Well, maybe I knew it, I just didn't know what it was called - they are "cozy mysteries." How appropriate. Does make me mildly embarrassed to be reading them, sort of like confessing to reading Harlequin romances, but not quite. I learned this by following the link at the end of this book to a group blog written by a whole gaggle of these ladies - all women and all food-oriented series. Surely cats and knitting are also cozy - yes, they are! I just scanned down through the list of writers on another group blog and found several cats and knitters. I'm not prepared with a definitive statement of who/what is or is not "cozy," for now I think I am simply satisfied that I know them when I read them. They make me quite certain that they could be recommended without reservation to certain gentle souls of my acquaintance who are not quite up to the stress and grim of things like the Stieg Larsson books. And most importantly, they are perfect for a Friday evening at the end of a difficult week - or a Friday morning when schools and government offices are closed by order of the governor (or at her strong suggestion in the cases of institutions not under direct state control). The governor having taken action after the recent cold spell was over to conserve our natural gas resources. Good work, Susie!

But this is supposed to be about the book. I guess having them settled by genre takes a bit of the pressure off. It is another one; it is fun. Ollie has a new boyfriend - as hinted in the previous book. Her old boyfriend has turned into a prize jackass. And a new administration has moved into the White House creating situations that make Ollie, once again, fear for her job. Oh yes, and this time it is middle eastern terrorists.

This is in no way a put-down. I love books of this type - and I am glad I visited that blog, because now I have a whole collection of them to try while waiting for Ms Hyzy to produce another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment