Monday, December 20, 2010

Silks by Dick Francis and Felix Francis

I avoid "ands" on general principles. It tends to make me a little queasy to see one of my favorite writers "anded" with some unknown on a book cover. Most of the things I can imagine as motivations for such things are not what I like to consider in the context of writers that I have read and respected. Almost worse are the books by "son or daughter of." This one may be the exception to the rule.

This read like vintage Dick Francis. The gentle pun in the title, the indirect association with racing of the later books, the romance, the violence, the reluctant hero, the very satisfying total destruction of the evil villain -- it's all there. And it's as readable as ever and just as engrossing. Witness that I started reading this yesterday after I had posted about the Tess Gerritsen book -- and I went to work today. Maybe this book was in my bag and maybe I did read a few chapters ...

You know - I am going to read more of theirs. And in the back of the book there was a notice that Francis himself has another Sid Halley story out. I have been out of the loop lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment