Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen

This one was because I had watched a few episodes of the TV series "Rizzoli and Isles" and perverse curiosity forced me to wonder -- all the things you wonder (if you are book people) when you see a formula mystery suspense series supposedly based on a novel or series of novels.

I really enjoyed this book. It is fast paced and intense. Jane Rizzoli is a convincing and compelling character. The killer is one of the creepiest I've encountered lately. I think I may read another one or two of these.

As with Kathy Reichs, this leaves the question of why the author sanctioned such a cutesification of her work. And I suppose the answer is - and always will be - the money. And, frankly, at the moment, that is a motive that I can completely understand, given the fundamental insecurity of the income of a writer. It's a shame, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment