Monday, December 27, 2010

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

I was warned. The good friend who loaned me the book told me that unlike so many second and third novels in a series this one does not disappoint -- all true. When I realized that this one was going to center around a court case, I was doubtful, but it definitely kept the pace and intensity that the first two books led me to expect. The depth and nature of the political conspiracy was truly horrifying and (of course) left me wondering whether or not all those conspiracy theorists have had it right all along.

The guy is just so plausible. It is quite difficult to step back and remind yourself, "Oh yeah, this is just fiction." Then there were the side issues such as the persecution of Berger. And the finale! I was reminded of the description of a hand-to-hand combat in something or other that I have read more than once. The underdog loses a weapon in the first few moments of the battle, but later snatches it up to win. In this case the writer has dropped the one issue so completely that its reappearance in the final pages came as a complete shock to me. Yes, I am deliberately trying to be vague in case someone who has not actually read this book should stumble on these lines. But, I do think the nail gun was a nice touch.

Just one last question - why didn't he start sooner? I know, he was only fifty and logically should have had many years to continue writing, but surely he could have started sooner. On the other hand, are any of us up to the stress of another one of these every year?

No comments:

Post a Comment