Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Anne of the Island by L. M. Montgomery

17Dec. Kindle.

Now with Anne safely engaged to Gilbert surely I can move on and read something else before coming back to the remaining eight books in the series. I'm enjoying this reread far too much.

This is the college book. I guess I haven't read them since I started hanging out at a college all the time. I don't think my undergraduate experience was much like theirs - and I'm sure that is even more true today. Still, the issue of a group of girls renting a place together sounded a little familiar - although our sweet girl undergrads are unlikely to require a live-in housekeeper/chaperone - and they are almost as likely to have male housemates as female. And somehow I doubt if "gentlemen callers" are often restricted to Friday evenings.

The program of English, Classics, Philosophy, and Mathematics with no talk of "majors" didn't sound very much like the stuff that they are required to take these days - but the discussion of "what did they learn that was of any practical use" certainly did. Now, however, that argument would come from the students themselves rather than from the older women around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment