Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

10Dec. Kindle.

This is one of the series that I reread when I am tired and depressed. It is so very satisfying. Just for fun I read the wiki on Lucy Maud - in part to see how much Lucy there is in Anne - a good bit. So I have two rereads in hand, two women best known by their initials, one British, one Canadian.

Anne is one of the most engaging characters in children's literature - maybe in literature for any age. She may be extremely unlikely - considering the nature of her early childhood - but her flaws make her a delight. Who wouldn't love the scene where she breaks her slate over Gilbert's head - and the cake flavored with liniment - and never forget the time she dyed her hair green.

I am not certain that I plan to reread the entire series - all twenty or whatever of them. The omnibus edition that I have on my kindle has fourteen - maybe those are all the "Anne" books - at some point they branch out to her children. I seem to recall thinking that they became a little too sweet at some point. We'll see. I expect I'll at least reread the first three or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment