Friday, August 8, 2014

The Bookman's Wake by John Dunning

15Jul. Kindle.

Dunning just doesn't miss. I read these years ago at the suggestion of a friend and member of our teacher book club (now pretty much a retired teacher book club). I think I probably got into all that when I read the first one - which I didn't remember having read back whenever.

Denver-based ex-cop turned bookman, Cliff Wakefield, against his better judgement accepts a short-term contract as a bounty hunter. All he has to do is go to Seattle and collect a fugitive book thief and return her to Taos. Yeah, right, nothing is ever that simple in murder mystery land. By the way, the fugitive is named Eleanor Rigby.

As always, the technical information is fascinating. This time, the background is printing, as in fine printing of limited editions. And more about the dollar value of books and people who love books as objects rather than for their contents. I will admit to liking books - even though I prefer to read them electronically. I like them enough that I can't quite bring myself to do those clever crafty things which turn books into decorative objects, not even Reader's Digest Condensed Books, but not obsessively for their beauty and dollar value as a good bookscout and his/her clients do.

No comments:

Post a Comment