Monday, June 16, 2014

The Twelve-Fingered Boy by John Horner Jacobs

13Jun. Kindle.

This was referred to me by a former student who is showing a serious talent for finding really, really depressing YA fantasy. (We have this conversation frequently.) The last one of these series that he recommended was so depressing that I refused to read the second. This one however has potential for a satisfactory ending to the series. It ended on a total cliffhanger, which at least leaves that option open - even though our hero is back in prison and his buddy is in captivity somewhere - I suspect that book two will see him rescue his friend (or vice versa) and book three will deal with the evil villain.

Opening up a story inside a boys prison is a rough start. I have no way of knowing how realistic this fictional prison situation is - I probably don't really want to know. It was persuasively told without making monsters of either the inmates or the guards.

No comments:

Post a Comment