Sunday, June 1, 2014

All the Summer Girls by Meg Donohue

30May. Kindle.

The other book club met on Thursday. I enjoyed the conversation about the book, more conversation about the book than we sometimes manage in the book club that I have belonged to for years. This is the next book.

Since this is Friday, obviously it was a quick read. A couple of the reader reviews on Amazon said that it was a "good summer beach read" - I'm not entirely sure what that is. I have on rare occasions been to a beach, but never have done any reading there. I suppose it has something to do with those images I have seen of people sitting huddled under big umbrellas with big hats and sunglasses. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why deliberately go to a place with lots of sun and sand and water to sit in the shade and read a book? Trying to read in the summer sun always gave me a headache, anyway. Oh well, it must be some sort of cultural thing.

This was a good book to read sitting indoors with air-conditioning while school is out. I could even imagine reading it on the patio (in the shade) while waiting for the dog to tend to his business. It was pleasant, not terribly deep, and it had a happy ending. Or maybe it was three happy endings, one for each of the three summer girls. What more could you want?

The three friends since grade school thing is ok, I guess. I don't particularly identify with that either, having grown up a military brat following heavy bombers around the world, but it doesn't disturb me. The idea that three young women of not-quite-thirty have so much baggage does bother me. At 29, they should be still developing their lives, not re-inventing them.

Still, I enjoyed it. Taken as a whole, it was a "good summer beach read." Whatever that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment