Saturday, January 11, 2014

Wheel of Time Reread (Books 1-4) by Leigh Butler

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry - mea culpa, mea maxima culpa - and all that sort of stuff ---

I tried, I really did, but when I found myself postponing reading to get back to cleaning house - cleaning house!?! -- I realized that it was time to give it up. Maybe if I had actually read WOT (as Butler refers to the entire 15,000 page monster) - but wait! I did. Well, I read the first three volumes, anyway. I suppose it doesn't really count because, as usual, I really didn't remember anything about it.

I don't think I have ever before posted about something that I didn't actually finish reading. On those fairly rare occasions usually I just sort of quit and try to forget it ever happened, but this time I invested a week of my reading time in this - and my house is cleaner than it has been in years. Still, I spent enough time with it that I felt that I owed myself a notation in the record to address what had been going on during that period of time.

Frankly, Butler's blog style is entertaining and very well done. Few manage that light conversational mode without obvious effort - which makes it apparent that no effort has been spared to make it seem effortless - and I strongly approve of people that spend the effort on their writing to spare their readers the effort. Have I used that word enough times in the last sentence? I would like to read something of hers that I cared about reading --- Leigh, sweetie, would you please, please, please write a novel --- or have you, and I just haven't found it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment