Saturday, February 8, 2014

Avishag by Yael Lotan

Not only did I read this some time ago - I wrote the following notes some time ago. It was even some time after I had read the book and those following - somewhere down the line I started dating the reads again. This is turning into an awkward semester as far as time is concerned.

----------------------------------------

Interesting. Love those low-price kindle book offers. I suppose it would be even cheaper to go to the library, but even my friend who has fussed about my book buying habit for years has gotten much much quieter about it since she got her own kindle.

This is a story (obviously - enough years of Sunday School and you should recognize the name, even with this alternate transliteration) about the young girl that they brought to David to warm his bed in his dotage. Avishag (otherwise known as Abishag) in this no doubt highly romanticized version becomes an extremely powerful personage in a kingdom scarcely recognizable from the highly romanticized traditional version of King David. Definitely different romances. I suspect this is a more accurate version of the fundamental tribal society of the day .

Can you tell that school has started? I did read this early in the weeks preceding this date, but duty has preempted a massive amount of my time - not the teaching, that's fun - it is the "other stuff" ...

No comments:

Post a Comment