Monday, October 15, 2012

Earth to Hell: Journey to Wudang: Book One by Kylie Chan

I finished this a couple of days ago, but had to do homework and get my midterm grades posted. All that takes a lot of fun out of things.

I'm not sure whether is too much plot in these or not enough. I think the main idea here was to retrieve Leo from hell, but it was a little hard to tell most of the time. They did get him back, but the recovery was fairly anti-climactic, and the destruction of the new bad was definitely so.

Part of the problem, I think, is that no one ever actually dies, no one that counts, anyway. They just go away for a while and come back again - and in this one the period of absence has been reduced to minutes rather than the months that it was in the first series. This certainly reduces the dramatic force of the narrative.

Another problem, I fear, is that I am really tired and never feel like I am completely caught up with everything. It is clear from the reduced "completion rate" that I have much less time to read - and I guess I resent something that just isn't quite up to par.

No comments:

Post a Comment