Thursday, October 4, 2012

Break No Bones by Kathy Reichs

And there they were, Tempe, Ryan, and Tempe's ex-husband, Pete, all sharing a house in Charleston. Not to mention that Bird the cat and Boyd the chow were there, too. There was a murdered cat in this one, too - rather odd and fairly gruesome. All that proximity led to some oddness, but it was quite entertaining, if decidedly improbable. Surely we are getting to the point where she actually goes ahead and dumps the ex. Or maybe he forces the issue, because I seem to remember that in a later story he remarries.

I particularly liked the fact that the conclusive connection of the murders in this one hangs on Tempe's knowledge and expertise rather than on having her stumble on something or someone and making an intuitive leap. Very nicely done. I don't want to be a scientist, I certainly don't covet Brennan's job, but I'm enough of a science geek to really enjoy that aspect of these books.

It's late, the discussion board I'm on will close in fifteen minutes, and I think everyone has called it quits. I think I will, too. I'm sure I could write several more paragraphs about this book - but I will let it go with the fact that I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment