Monday, July 16, 2012

Farnham's Freehold by Robert A. Heinlein

This one is not one of my favorites. So much so that I had forgotten almost everything about it except that they survived the nuclear holocaust. Twice. Once they survived because the got in their bomb shelter and it took a direct hit which bounced them approximately two thousand years into the future - or did it? Second when they get sent back to their own time just in time to survive the bombs again - or did they. I do remember when this book came out back in the early sixties. I could hardly wait to get my hands on it - and even then I was disappointed.

This is one of Heinlein's less pleasant exercises in racial and gender bias. I expect he saw it as simply an exploration of the possibilities of societal development when the white power structure is wiped out - not exactly. The society developed by the dark-skinned people who were left out of the war is nightmarish. And, as usual, the women were buxom, randy, and fertile.

I'm not at all sure which is the cart and which is the horse, let alone what order they are in. Do I dislike this book because of the problems which I noted above - or am I unusually aware of them because I dislike the book? Beats me. I would have to look again at a chronology, but I think this is about the point at which he gave up story telling and started preaching. And the time gimmick again - do it over and get it right. It worked in The Door Into Summer, here it feels more like a cop-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment