Sunday, November 13, 2011

Bailey's Window by Anne Lindbergh

Found in a box of books belonging to my younger daughter and held out of the repack because of the author's name. She is not Anne Morrow Lindbergh, whose books I devoured when I was about the age that this book targets, she is her daughter. The target audience is late elementary or middle school.

It is fairly well done, the fantasy is clever and not too heavy duty. It reminds me of Half Magic by Edward Eager, which my sisters and I read and reread as children. These children don't ever really "figure out" the rules like the children in Half Magic and a couple of fairly heavy duty issues get dropped with no discussion. In addition, there is a scary character woven through the narrative, but there is no real development or resolution of his role. Still, not bad compared to the average run of stuff mass-produced for young readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment