Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer School or Why did I think this was such a great idea?

Okay - I promised myself that I would total up pages after I got my research paper turned in, so here goes -
Human Learning by Dr. Jeanne Ormrod - 534
Object Lessons by Eavan Boland - 254
Outside History by Eavan Boland - 152
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - 258
Shirley by Charlotte Bronte - 608
some of Collected Poems of H.D. - ~80
about half of Uneven Developments - by Mary Poovey 250
Minimum of 8 research sources - 200
total - 2336
Pages written ~40
Two class presentations

Busy four weeks.

Okay, maybe that isn't so much compared to some of the previous months' totals, but if we are going to make that sort of comparison then there needs to be some sort of "page equivalence" factor. A page of Human Learning has at least as many words as four pages of your average murder mystery - and I read the book twice, once before the class began and again on the assignment schedule. That edition of Wuthering Heights only ran 258 pages for the story, but I figure them at about 2 paperback pages each, I've seen Wuthers in fairly normal looking paperbacks, but the print is really small. Throw that into the sum and we're looking at about 5000 pages.

I "reviewed" Wuthering Heights and Shirley when I read them a couple of months ago.

The ed psych book was actually quite entertaining for something of that sort. I might actually send the woman a birthday card. Lots of very real examples which are easy to remember.

Eavan Boland is going on my bedside table permanently - amazing stuff.

I am now looking forward to about six weeks of reading nothing but escapist fiction. I've already started and should finish that one tomorrow. Except, of course, for reading a stack of possible novels for the Developmental English class which I will be teaching this fall. Should be fun after four years of nothing but math.

No comments:

Post a Comment