Monday, July 25, 2011

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

I've reread this more recently than I had A Girl of the Limberlost. I was already doing quite a bit of reading on my computer desktop rather than on paper and downloaded almost all of the Anne books from Gutenberg just a couple of years ago. I had to order the last few on paper - those were the ones that I had never read before - on into the life and times of Anne and Gilbert's children.

I don't think Mother read these. I can't imagine why not, but I don't remember that she ever recommended them. My siblings may correct me at will - not that they need permission.

Anne is a quirky and engaging character. If the whole tone is a bit sentimental - consider the period. Anne gets into as much trouble as could be expected of any male character, but she is all girl - the hair dye episode is priceless - and flavoring the cake with liniment - and scaring herself silly with imagined ghosts - and taking a dare and falling off the roof - and on and on.

This is just a very satisfying read. I suppose there is also the comfort of familiarity, and now I have to decide whether or not to keep on going through all of them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment