Saturday, July 30, 2011

Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher

Certainly a departure from the Harry Dresden books. Dresden falls into the "urban fantasy" genre, I suppose - a wizard whose base of operations is Chicago. This is high fantasy, with a twist.

I'm not sure it is exactly "a" twist. Every fantasy convention is turned just a few degrees off standard settings. For example, furies are entities associated with the four classic elements - air, earth, fire, and water - but they can also act as familiars for certain individuals. In fact, everyone "has" a fury - except one boy, Tavi.

Tavi takes the Frodo role - of the helpless, hapless hero, or maybe he is more like Garion, who turns out to be the high king or some such thing, raised in ignorance for his protection. There are definitely hints that he is much more than he seems. It was a little obvious at the end to have him blow off the awards ceremony with the First Lord to go fetch home his sheep.

I read this several years ago - and didn't remember enough to read book two - I think there are six books in the stack. I don't think I can go on immediately - there was so much action that I am really tired. Maybe I'll go back to one or another of the mystery series that I have been rereading - while I debate whether or not to go ahead and buy the Kindle versions - they would be so much easier to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment