Friday, October 31, 2014

Come to Grief by Dick Francis

17Aug. Kindle.

A return of Sid Halley. I can't decide whether I am more pleased that Francis resisted making Sid a genuine series detective with a novel a year or frustrated that he did not. Sid is a great character and I would really enjoy more stories about him, but I would hate to see him degenerate into a stock character. Also I would certainly have missed the many other great characters that populate the Francis stories, especially in his later books. Granted, many/most of these men share some of Sid's virtues and faults - and they are all men, perhaps Francis was reluctant to subject women to the physical abuse that his heroes invariably take.

Someone is gruesomely mutilating the best young racehorses in England by cutting off one of their forefeet. The investigation leads Sid through a tortuous re-examination of friendship and loyalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment