Friday, August 23, 2013

"L" is for Lawless by Sue Grafton

I had definitely not read this one before, and I'm pretty sure I hadn't read the previous one either.

Grafton had to reach a bit for this title. Granted, we were dealing with a group of crooks and a bank robbery from a couple of generations past, the particulars clearly indicating that there was no honor among this bunch of thieves, a pretty lawless crowd, but to have it all come down to a family name - now that was pretty cheap.

Maybe I've been reading them too fast, but this one was just not particularly satisfying to me. Kinsey comes across as pretty ineffectual, manipulated by the bads at all turns. She does come up with the critical clue at the end, but simply gives it away.

In the other matter I'm tracking, she doesn't kill anyone - and never has any opportunity for dalliance. Speaking of which, Henry's brother, William, and Rosie actually get married.

No comments:

Post a Comment