Sunday, August 18, 2013

Children of the Atom by Wilmar H. Shiras

Finished on 7/22.

My sister and I were talking books the other day and remembered this one. I found it on Amazon and ordered it. Now she can borrow it when she comes back here to pick up her car from the shop (a long story which doesn't really impact this at all).

I first read this book in the late fifties or early sixties. I suspect that it was in my father's library. It is still a good read. The improbability of the premise really doesn't seem to matter - or at least it doesn't matter to me. We'll see what my sister says.

Of strictly tangential interest, I had always incorrectly assumed that Wilmar Shiras was male - probably more because in that period far more science fiction writers were. I wonder if there are others who disguised their female identities with carefully chosen pen names. I still run into people of my generation who will argue with me over the fact that Andre Norton was a woman.

Also, I had forgotten, if I ever knew, that this book was actually published as three novellas in Astounding - in the forties. They were expanded and published as a book in 1953. I think my sister knew that - I guess I don't pay a lot of attention to that sort of detail - fortunately, Google fills in the blanks for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment