Monday, February 4, 2013

The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

Great fun! For years I was vaguely embarrassed to admit how much I enjoyed these books. I don't have much use for sappy romances, and even though I knew at some level that these were different - they all looked so much the same on the shelf! I picked this one up off the free book table in the lobby and had it around for some time before someone else picked it up and started reading it and reminded me of how funny it was. Strong characters, situations that require some understanding of the period and setting, and the introduction of a completely unexpected element. Heyer explains the setting in ways that actually advance the plot rather than in pedantic asides and sets her characters loose.

I had read this one years ago - but of course remembered nothing. The Rivenhalls thought they were managing - not particularly happily - but managing, when Cousin Sophy descends and having gotten the measure of the household sets it on end much to the improvement of everything. By the end of the book, everyone is suitably paired up - even the bitchy (ex)fiancee and the hypocondriac suitor. It reminded me of Much Ado About Nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment