Thursday, February 7, 2013

Bared Blade by Kelly McCullough

Classic pseudoMedieval fantasy, some interesting species and magical types. This is book two of the series - I'm pretty sure it's a series, not a trilogy, or some other numbered multiple volume story. The story seems fairly complete with the trails at the end seeming to lead to adjustment in the structure - the lone wolf picks up a dependent - but the change doesn't seem to lead to another story.

The hero is a survivor of the destruction of his order and travels under an order of death with his familiar, Triss, a Shade, a creature from what we would call another dimension if this were SF and not fantasy. He takes up with a Dyad, a magical something from a totally different school of magic. The Dyad is one of the more interesting denizens of the tale. She (or they) is (are) a bonded pair who began as two women, and often functions as two, but the two are also parts of a third entity - their Meld. Cleverly designed and executed.

I liked it enough to get the first book when/if I ever get paid. I found the first book in another series by McCullough on a shelf, I think I'll give that a try, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment