Saturday, July 5, 2014

Unnatural Death by Dorothy L. Sayers

25Jun. Kindle.

I'm going to have to start checking before I start reading. I thought this $1.99 book must be the first - wrong again. It is the third Lord Peter Wimsey book.

The Lord Peter Wimsey stories definitely have a continuous back story. So I shall immediately go back and get the two preceding this one.

I am continually surprised on rereading how racial and ethnic references that I never noticed before jump out at me. It leaves me wondering where/when/how I became so sensitive to that sort of thing - maybe I read them all before I started teaching school. That could be it.

This crime deals with a matter that was addressed in a lit course I took one summer - surplus women. WWI changed the face of British society in many ways. An entire generation of young men had been wiped out, leaving a society in which women were expected to marry with a demographic landscape lacking husbands for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment