Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Cuckoo's Calling by JK Rowling/Robert Galbraith

Finished on or about 23Feb.

A reread, of course. Book club in on March 8 - and I didn't remember much about it - and it was my choice. To my delight, I enjoyed it as much the second time as the first - I do occasionally worry about that when I select a book for other people to read.

I liked the detective and Robin his secretary/sidekick even better this time. I did remember (after a few chapters) who did the murder, but that didn't spoil the fun.

I did hear that one club member refused to finish the book because of the bad language. Rowling did sprinkle the f-bomb quite liberally, but it seemed to me that the language suited the characters and gentler speech would simply have sounded silly coming from them.

Apparently, profanity/obscenity does not offend me as much as bad grammar and usage and poor word choice. I seem to remember ranting at some length about that in a post a few weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment