Saturday, October 19, 2013

Knockdown by Dick Francis

Back to reading two books at once - and both on paper. I need to get back to my Kindle, because I am losing ground on my current crochet project. I can't hold a book and crochet at the same time, but I can push the page turn button from time to time.

Francis wrote to a formula, but he always managed to vary it enough to ensure that the books don't blur together in similarity. This time we have a guy who ought to be depressed, but doesn't seem to be. He has an alcoholic brother, and trick shoulder that took him out of racing, and is just getting by as a bloodstock agent. He meets a woman that he would like to marry, but realizes that, although she is willing to carry on a long term relationship, marriage is simply a non-starter.

He is attacked and his business is attacked for no apparent reason, and typical of Francis's heroes, he decides to fight back. A number of people end up dead, but no horses this time. Well, a couple of horses, but they were killed long before the beginning of this story.

This one ends sort of inconclusively. The uberbads are dead, but nothing in Jonah's life is resolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment