Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Secundus Papyrus by Albert Noyer

Murder and conspiracy in fifth century Italy - Ravenna. I wonder why Ravenna. Possibly because, although it had political significance in the period, it was not the center of the Roman universe as Rome was, making it easier to create fiction in the setting. That, however, is total speculation. Perhaps Mr. Noyer actually visited Ravenna and came away completely captivated. I could understand that - although for me it wasn't Ravenna. For me it is Venice - how conventional. I don't think I would ever have the chutzpah to write about Venice - in any period of history. In five years of never turning down an opportunity to visit Venice, I never failed - even on my last of countless visits - to see things that I had never seen before -- an amazing place.

Meanwhile, back in Ravenna --- I read the sequel to this book first, maybe I shouldn't call the second in what looks to be a series of murder mysteries a sequel because aside from continuing characters, the stories are quite independent. It's fun to "watch" a 21st century writer imagine crime detection without the forensic tools that are the foundation of most mysteries set in the present. No DNA or fingerprints, no autopsy or tox screens, no phone records or security videos. Not to mention the fact that the "detectives" themselves are working in a mindset far removed from today's analytical world-view.

In this case, the detectives, Getorius and his wife, Arcadia, have the advantage of being a physician and physician-in-training. Getorius longs to dissect a human cadaver to investigate some of the theories of the revered Galen that don't seem to play out in Getorius's own experience with real patients. This, of course, is strictly forbidden by church law, upon pain of excommunication, banishment, death, and other generally unpleasant consequences. At one point in the story, he is left with the body of an indigent sailor on his hands and succumbs to temptation, but quickly retreats.

The political/religious situation at this point in history is fascinating. The Roman church is gaining power, but it has serious competition from any number of other versions of Christianity. I wish Noyer had managed to explain a little more of the fundamental differences between them - of course, I'm not really interested in a serious and lengthy discussion of the development of the early church, just a little more background on the doctrinal differences that created such divisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment